Vilanova d’Alcolea:

a place to dream

Since Iberian times, Vilanova d’Alcolea has been a place where the cultures that have forged the history of this area have settled. Back in Roman times, Via Augusta led to a safe haven in the town: the Roman way station of Ildum, a mansio where travellers could rest or change horses. For defensive reason, the Arabs moved the town to a hillock, surrounding it with walls that still stand today, scattered around the streets, and they built a small tower that gave rise to the place name Alcolea. After the Christians arrived, it became governed by the Templars in 1293, under the watch of Peñíscola Castle, making it a town.

X